Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+.
* Install, remove, upgrade and downgrade single and multiple packages.
* Upgrade your whole system.
* Manage package
... [More] repositories (sources.list).
* Find packages by name, description and several other attributes.
* Select packages by status, section, name or a custom filter.
* Sort packages by name, status, size or version.
* Browse all available online documentation related to a package.
* Download the latest changelog of a package.
* Lock packages to the current version.
* Force the installation of a specifc package version.
* Undo/Redo of selections. [Less]
Automates package choice management.
Allows to use aptitude non-interactively with the same choices that the interactive aptitude provides by entering those choices in configuration files. Provides a thin layer on top of aptitude's command line interface.
LiquidStart aims to allow Linux users (currently, Debian/Ubuntu) to create entries for each of the host computers they maintain, where they can add general components (i.e. MySQL Database, PHP Development Tools etc.) to each hosts profile. The engine can then generate a correct "apt-get" or
... [More] "aptitude" style command line for quick and simple "copy-and-paste" action, to install all required packages on the host after a fresh install.
The ability to upload a system generated package list and have the engine analyse and produce a component profile is also envisaged once the initial application requirements have been achieved. [Less]