I have been looking for a while for a lightweight PHP/MySQL package to run my photography portfolio. I've been using Flickr to share some of my works, so I was not interested in fancy features such as comments, tags, EXIF parsing, rating etc. I just needed a solid photo portfolio package to do its job. I posted a request in a forum with the following wishlist:
- actively maintained package (or at least well coded/documented)
- out-of-the-box Lightbox JS support would be a plus
- output easy to style via CSS
- the possibility to create albums or categories. Not necessarily a hierarchy, just a simple way of grouping pics together.
- Some on-the-fly image resizing/thumbnail generation via GD libraries might be useful.
- GPL-licensed or similar
Then someone pointed to Zenphoto and to my surprise it answered to all of my wishes. It's a nice and powerful engine, with a flexible templating system and Wordpress-like theme support. It has a very lively community of users and contributors, which is definitely a plus when it comes to opensource development. End user documentation could be improved though, and tutorials to help developers familiarize with the API would be a nice addition. My only hope is that the project sticks to its modular vision and doesn't get bloated with tons of useless features to become yet another dumb photo gallery project.
Keep up the good work!